Subscriber Services
 

Monday, July 31, 2006

A must-read for parents

Flying home from the D.C. area this weekend, I picked up a copy of the Washington Post. In its Sunday magazine,was one of the best articles I've read in a long time on parenting. The article titled Are You A Toxic Parent? is sure to spark strong opinions. The author, Marc Fisher says toxic parents is his term for those parents of teens who other parents love to blame for the wayward behaviors of their own kids. Fisher discoverd cliques among parents are every bit as strong and divisive as those among kids. His point is hard to dispute. Our society has become quick to blame kids troubles on their parents working or being too permissive. Yet, some parents are too permissive. This assertion in the article really hit home: "Few parents realize until they are deep into the battle to keep their kids safe that the enemy is often other parents."
I'm not sure that I'm the norm, but I fear the teenage years. I've already bumped up against parents who are more permissive than I am about what's permitted in their homes and my kids haven't even approached the teen years where drinking and smoking are temptions. Fisher's article gave me, a working mother of three, a lot to think about. Let me know your thoughts!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Very Nice! Check out this website I found where you can make extra cash.
It's not available everywhere, so go to the site and see if you can find something. I found something and make
and extra $900 a month!

http://www.degree-programs-online.info/extramoney.htm

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Very Nice! Check out this website I found where you can make extra cash.
It's not available everywhere, so go to the site and see if you can find something. I found something and make
and extra $900 a month!

http://www.degree-programs-online.info/extramoney.htm

1:59 PM  
Anonymous 100 application job said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my 100 application job site.
Good luck!

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home