Subscriber Services
 

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Overcommiting

I have had some great feedback from my last week's column on overcommitting. There was one sentence in that column that has become my new mantra. Maybe it will help you as well.
"Keep in mind that every time you commit to doing something you don't want to do, you are giving up time and energy to do what is important to you. Don't say yes when you want to say no."
On the surface, that sounds simple. I am wrestling with it -- figuring out which additional assignments at work I want to take on and which volunteer commitments I want to take on.
For those of us in the habit of saying yes, we need to retrain our brain. Life coach Rachelle Disbennet-Lee suggests this approach: Try ''thank you for asking. It's a great opportunity, but I'm too booked to do it.'' And then, lose the guilt! Let me know if it works for you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy:

That was a great column and that one sentence says it all. Sometimes people who do a lot are asked to do even more, as opposed to those who don't volunteer at all. I think I'll print and post your reply until it's become second nature:

"Thank you for asking. It's a great opportunity, but I don't have time to take advantage of it."

Hilda

8:25 AM  
Blogger Pat Morgan said...

Try saying "YES" to yourself, instead of "no" to something else.

Pat Morgan,
Executive & Life Coach
Smooth Sailing
www.SmoothSailingSuccess.com

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home