Subscriber Services
 

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Do working dads worry about kids while at work?

A Father's Day article in CareerBuilder caught my attention both for the tips it gave and the assumptions it made.

"Men who place a high priority on family often need to be thick-skinned about it,' said Pam Ragland, owner of Aiming Higher Quantum Success Co., a personal and business consulting firm. She says men tell her they feel like a pansy if they end up dong things women traditionally do like chauffeuring children to activities.

Next, Ragland gave this tip: "Allow yourself to focus only on whatever you are doing during that time block. No worrying about kids when you are working, no worrying about work when you are with your kids. "

I read that and my first thought was that I really doubt most married men worry about their kids when they are working. I do believe that fathers worry about work when they are with their kids. But let's be real, most fathers don't worry about the logistics of their family life during the work day like mothers do. And, even if they they do on occasion, I'm sure it's not on a regular basis.

My husband disagrees with my assessment. He says men worry about family during the work day -- but more from the perspective of supporting the family and money issues. This may be true, but still I doubt it consumes much of their time during the work day.

Do you agree with either of us? Do you think dads worry about their kids when they are at work?

14 Comments:

Blogger Internet Secrets Investigator said...

My husband works many long hours and "tries" to call several times per day to check in, I guess that goes along with he must be thinking about us and by us I mean the boys.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Cindy Goodman said...

I think most fathers check in during the day. But do you think they worry the same way about the kids during the day?

11:32 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Hi Cindy, I hate to say it but I have to side with your husband on this one! I gave up a corporate career a year ago to play a more active role in the family and now have something a little more holistic than work/life balance as a result.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous mahamad said...

there is a equal share work between wife and husband,some times dad's are tried due to long working hours.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Amy said...

Yes and no...Yes, I think husbands worry about family issues while at work, but maybe only if they're brought to the forefront of his attention by a phone call, email, or other reminder. I think men tend to be more focused on the task at hand whereas women are constantlt mentally multitasking.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Angela Lovell said...

I think they do but as you say not with the same focus as women. I think most men consider their work as a priority over anything else because they believe they are providing for the financial requirements of the family unit. They feel that responsibility acutely.
Really like your blog site - will come often.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Marianne Dunn said...

Hello readers,

I am conducting a research study about parenting...

I would like to invite you to participate in this study if you and your spouse BOTH work full-time and have 1 or more children living in your home under age 16.This is a brief one-time online study where you and your spouse will be asked to fill out a series of questionnaires about work and family domains.

The study takes less than 30 minutes to complete. You and your spouse will have the opportunity to enter a lottery upon completion of the study if both individuals participate. 1/10 couples will win a $50 gift certificate. We hope this study will advance understanding about the work-family interface among working women and men in the U.S. This is an academic pursuit and is part of my doctoral dissertation. Please email me (Marianne Dunn) at umdcouplesstudy@gmail.com with your email and your spouse's email if you are interested! Thank you for your consideration."

10:06 AM  
Blogger Make Money online said...

I wonder to visit your blog and I got more information about online business in part time from home your blog and I have some blogs like you to visit us.



How to create Blog



How to Make Money Online



Affiliate Programs

1:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Balance between Work and life is very difficult for both the working men/women because they can’t give proper time to their family and I will say to them that they should try to manage their time!
Work Life Balance Expert

4:50 AM  
Anonymous earn money at home said...

My husband always calls during the day to check-in on both me and our kids. I am a stay at home mom, but I do work part-time from home creating party favors. However, I believe that my husband does think about his family quite often during the workday.

2:50 PM  
Blogger reet said...

Very informative website ........
www.workfromhomeindia.biz

8:48 AM  
Blogger reet said...

Very informative website ........
Work From Home India

9:34 AM  
Anonymous best paid surveys said...

Usually fathers get little time or also have least of interest to look after the kids or domestic work at home.Therefore more mothers are trying to work from home as per their convenience...where they can strike a balance between the two.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Outsource said...

In yesteryears people would be looking forward from their favourite authors about the next edition, Time has evolved over and readers like me switched over to reading blogs from a list of favourite bloggers. Keep up the great blogging. Wonderful Post

4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home