Subscriber Services
 

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The life of a divorced dad

Growing up in a divorced family, I never remember my dad worrying about balancing his job and his children. My dad would take us on visitations every other weekend. My mom, the primary caregiver, constantly struggled with holding a job and dealing with the daily emergencies that arise with three kids. As a grew older, my siblings and I never felt felt like our father was integrated in our lives.
This week, in honor of Father's Day, I am writing about divorced men who have joint custody. Viewing the balance issue from their perspective has been enlightening. It appears much more difficult for men to ask for flexibility from employers and the risks are higher. Men, it seems, have to build support teams to make these joint custody arrangements work. But, they say, the payoff is worth it. I love this quote from a father I interviewed this morning who has joint custody and has worked hard with his ex-wife and employer to have his kids live with him half the time: "I feel like major player in bringing up my kids versus an observer. I wouldn't be as involved in my kids lives if I was seeing it from a distance.''

2 Comments:

Anonymous Eduardo said...

Good Article! Nice Job.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Jerry said...

In today's economy I see both Mom
and Dad working many hours.

We have to miss many things including spending time with our
children and grandchildren.

The other week my six month old
granddaughter was sick in the
hospital. This was a two hour
drive away and I was sad I could
not take off from work to be with
her and my son + wife.

If I do not work ... my bills donot
get paid. My other son and daughter, the uncle and aunt of this child also had to go to work
to pay bills. Grandmother since
she is disabled did make the two
hour trip to be with her.

Thankfully the Grandbaby is now home and out of the hospital.

We live in difficult times.

"Are we slaves to our bills?"
I think so.

It was wonderful you had a very
suportive Mom and Dad. You too must
be a very wonderful mother.

Blessings and prayers!

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home