Subscriber Services
 

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

In favor of siestas


Most days, around 4 p.m. I find my eyes getting heavy. I need a nap.

But like most American workers, I pursue on. Studies show naps are good for us and improve our response time. They even lower our risk of heart disease. Let's face it though, they look bad. Can you imagine telling anyone in the business world that you took a nap? Not in our society which places a premium on productivity!
It appears the American, anti-nap sentiment is spreading to other countries, bolstered by the need for standardized business hours in a global economy. How crazy is it that now other countries are catching on to our culture of cramming too much into a day? And while it's bad enough that American workers are giving up naps, many of us give up sleep, too. Want to bet I'm not the only one toiling at my computer at midnight? Bring back the nap! Read Louisa Thomas piece of napping that originally appeared in the Los Angles Times by clicking here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Selfmademom said...

I hate to say it, but I'm anti-nap. It doesn't work for me. I wish it did.
http://selfmademom.net/2007/02/27/my-anti-nap-ritual/

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home