Subscriber Services
 

Monday, July 16, 2007

Birds or moms? I'm fuming.

Friday morning I read the front page of my newspaper, the very newspaper I work for, and I began fuming. An article I wrote for the front page had been bumped by another story. To me, it became immediately apparent why employers -- even my The Miami Herald -- aren't in touch with working families.
An article on fewer birds in Florida took priority for the front page over my article on the trend toward more mothers finding part time work ideal. This shift over the last decade from working moms thinking full time is ideal to dreaming of part time comes with one hitch -- most women can't afford the arrangement. One father asked me, "When did it become necessary for two parents to work just to be middle class?"
I'm not sure why but employers still haven't caught on that most families are struggling with the pressure that having both parents work puts on the entire family. Smart employers are rethinking the need to offer some flexibility. The others? Maybe they're too busy watching for birds!

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I can totally understand your frustration. I often feel like traditional employers (and media) are still stuck in the old-school mindset and don't want to face the future of flexibility.

Susan at Working Moms Against Guilt

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home