Subscriber Services
 

Friday, October 12, 2007

Learning from a Gen Y

Earlier this week I went to a training session at my newspaper -- one of those on using new technology. My instructor was half my age. Welcome to the new world, I thought.
But just as I'm feeling antiquated in a new tech era, I stumbled upon an article that gave me new perspective.
The gist was this: Older adults have learned to use the available technology, but many of us use it in ways that are different than the way Y's do naturally. Y's "woke up" in a world that was fully wired. They absorbed intuitively things that others have learned intellectually. They bring a perspective to today's world of work that is inevitably different.
NOW THIS IS THE PART THAT INSPIRED ME: Innovation -- happens within one individual's mind -- he or she has an "a ha" as a connection is made. But more often than not, it comes from two or more people getting together, each with unique perspectives or expertise -- and based on sharing ideas, coming up with something that none of them would have thought of on their own.
Maybe I'm not tech savvy but I do have experience. Maybe, if I work together with Gen Y together we will have an "a ha" moment. Maybe, there's a place all of us in this new tech world.
For the original article, click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home