Subscriber Services
 

Thursday, June 22, 2006

The upside of a commute

In a group discussion this morning at a public relations firm, the subject of commuting and carpooling came up. While I enjoy a short 10-minute commute most days, I do miss the chance to catch up with friends on my cell phone, a benefit of the longer commute I had a few years ago.
A women my meeting this morning said her car is her oasis, the only place she has time to herself each day. I thought about how true that is for most working people. Between bustling offices and chaotic households, our time in our car is our time to ourselves. But we fail to look at it that way most days when we're frustrated in how long it takes to get around on South Florida roads. Maybe we should stop complaining about traffic jams or the rude drivers and enjoy our time alone to choose what radio station we want to listen to (without a spouse grabbing the remote) or catch up with a friend on our cell phones (without a child screaming in the background). After my meeting, the one-hour commute back to my office today was one of the most enjoyable in a long time. I soaked in the quiet before arriving at the loud newsroom and actually felt relaxed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this was posted a while ago, but I wanted to comment. With a family and a 1-hour commute each way, I absolutely see where your'e coming from. But, the car ride to the office is absolutely the WRONG time to catch up with an old friend via cell phone. The dangers of talking in a cell phone while driving are no secret and, as moms, we shouldn't be doing things that put us (or other people) in danger.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home