Subscriber Services
 

Monday, April 09, 2007

Day care funds scarce

An article in today's Miami Herald reveals a pathetic reality: about 7,400 low -income working parents in Broward County, Florida, are on a nine-month waiting list for government-subsidized day care. Statewide, 45,000 remain on a waiting list. How can our state's low-wage workers hold jobs when they can't find affordable child care?
As the article points out, the long waiting list puts children at risk, because some parents who can't afford child care leave their kids with unqualified baby-sitters or neighbors. Some even have resorted to leaving them home alone. Not long ago, I wrote about our state scaling back on funding for afterschool programs.
Should it be a surprise that The Miami Herald has a front page article today on how youth gangs in Florida are spreading? Given the value our state places on child care funding, I think not.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a single mother of 3 children. I make 12.00 an hour and receive child support for only 2 of my kids. I was on the wait list for almost a year! When I read the article I felt like there was no light at the end of my tunnel. At this moment I pay as munch in daycare as I do in rent. I work 40+ hrs a week to support my kids and can't afford to miss 1 hour of work to go and apply for public assistance. I find it very frustrating to get ahead financialy and yet most people abuse the system and make it harder for the family's out there actually living a productive and honest life!!

12:26 PM  
Anonymous earn money at home said...

This is scary! It is scary enough bringing your children to a daycare you can rely upon and trust. However, to have to bring them to unreliable and unqualified childcare facility is just terrifying. I have to work to pay my bills. However, I have chosen to start my own home business so I can stay home with my precious daughter as well as earn an income.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home