Subscriber Services
 

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

This mom hates science projects

The bags under my eyes today are a result of my daughter's science project. By the time our kids reach middle school, most parents have realized our children's science projects become a huge item on our to-do list. There's no way around it. The web is filled with frantic moms looking for tips, advice, ideas and help with their kids science projects. Do teachers realize this?

In my house, the scramble to buy materials and see these projects to fruition, while trying to do my outside-the-home job, has led to lack of sleep and arguments. But I know I'm not alone. For most parents, science projects are a nightmare. I've bumped into lots of worn out working parents over the last few weeks in Michael's at night buying supplies and cursing both their kids and the teachers who assign these projects. I have come to realize my negotiation skills and creativity help somewhat to prepare me for surviving these projects -- but not enough!

I'm amazed at how many "how to" websites there are about science project aimed at parents. (Here's a good one, by the way, just click) I'm rethinking the gifts I give my friends when they give birth. Forget the Dr. Spock book. I think a guide to surviving science projects would make a much better gift. Do you agree? Have any of you found a magic formula for balancing work and your child's science project?

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

HOLY COW!!!!!!!! I think I just fell in love with you.

Science is my daughter's worst subject and this year.....yep....you guessed it, Science Project!

I also enjoyed your writings. I Am from S Fla (Pembroke Pines), and moved to N Fla because of better schools.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Arlene said...

I remember how shocked I was (shocked, I tell you!) as a junior high school kid to discover that many of my peers' parents 1) built their kids' science projects and 2) were apparently professional, licensed engineers.

Made my papier-mache volcano look pretty dumb. I'd have swooned with delight if my parent had helped.

Yup, buy the book.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home