Subscriber Services
 

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Would you sign a love contract?

Last night, I was watching Boston Legal when one of the character's comments really made me think about how tough it must be to be single and overworked. Brad, a partner at the fictitious law firm, threatened to sue for wrongful termination because he refused to sign a love contract—more commonly known as a consensual relationship agreement. It seems some companies are beginning to ask employees to sign love contracts when they become romantically involved with another employee ( to prevent harassment suits).
"I'm lonely,'' Brad told his senior partners. He said working 60 hours a week, leaves him little time to meet someone. It was his explanation of why he turned to a co-worker for romance.
I believe attitudes are changing about office romance. While most would agree that relationships between employees at different levels of the company can be a bad career move, people seem to be becoming more tolerant of coworkers shacking up. Still, are love contracts necessary? Would you sign one?

2 Comments:

Anonymous TC88_5@msn.com said...

For starters how does Brad work 60hrs a week. what 8-8 on weekdays? In a law firm? Really?

Anyway, that was on of Mark Valley's greatest performances. Alan usually gets all the lines.

About the question, i wld sign a love contract. It is irresponsible that if i have a problem with my ex i bring up sexual harrassment claims and cause discomfort with my collegues 'cause everytime they see me they'd be thinking about how much i legally "embezzled".

I wont like the idea that the company doesnt trust my character well enough. But since everyone every other company is doing it, i wont take it personally.

my 2 cents

1:20 PM  
Blogger tpow said...

@TC88_5@msn.com - You think lawyers come in when the office opens, and go home at 5pm? Get real. Get a real job, you don't work 40 hours.

I'm being asked to sign a love contract. The relationship isn't romantic, so I'm telling them to shove it.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home