Subscriber Services
 

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Busy moms often eat poorly


It's true. Most working mothers spend so much time working about what our kids eat but we don't eat well ourselves. No matter how hard we try, our bodies never look as svelte as they did before kids. Two reasons according to an article I just read on this subject: hormonal changes and poor eating habits coupled with inadequate physical activity. (And then there's the little issue of snacking off our kids plates)

Apparently, working mothers claim that one of the biggest obstacles to healthy food preparation is lack of time. If you are like me and resolved to be healthier in 2008, here are tips from the previously referenced article with a little of my own suggestions:

1. Keep as much junk food out of the house as possible. And, if you do bring it in, put it out of sight.

2. Keep the healthy stuff in view. I just bought a crate of clementines and put them in a bowl in my kitchen. They've become my new favorite snack food.

3. Make lunch the biggest meal of the day. (I'm trying to eat more giant salads at lunch!)

4. Limit-stress inducing eating. Easier to say than to do. I'm trying to keep baby carrots on my desk for those stressful days. And, I'm going to try to get up from my desk and stretch instead of nibbling on chocolate.

5. Don't eat anything you wouldn't feed your child. (You would want your kid to have vegies with his meal, wouldn't you?)

6. Don't starve yourself. Also, the longer you go without food, the more likely you'll be to reach for junk once hunger gets the better of you. We certainly didn't put on our "baby weight" overnight, and it can't come off that quickly either.

7. Designate a food prep day. Pick one day for both grocery shopping and preparing foods so that they will be accessible later in the week. When you return from the store, wash and chop vegetables such as carrots and broccoli, throw the lettuce in the salad spinner, boil noodles, bake potatoes in the microwave, and even cook several boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I just read about a couple who cooks four breasts at a time and tosses them in salads, pastas and soups during the week.

8. Keep it simple. One-pot meals are easy and can be healthy. (I just bought a book of recipes with Campbell's Soup -- hearty, healthy, one-pot dishes.)

Let me know if you have tips to share!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a clementine? And why is a Herald columnist linking to the Sun-Sentinel?

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home