Subscriber Services
 

Monday, January 14, 2008

Finding Day Care -- for your parents




For a short spell, I had to worry about taking care of my now-retired mother who wasn't well and my children. Although my mom is back on her feet, I foresee the day when it will be an issue again.

That's why I found an article this weekend in The Wall Street Journal of interest. The article says as baby boomers seek quality care for frail parents unable to stay at home alone, they are looking for relief from day-care centers. These centers work like child-care facilities. You drop your relative off in the morning and pick them up after work. The advantage: they are more reliable and stimulating than hiring a home health-care aide. Another plus: A pilot program allows a portion of Medicare home health-care benefits to go toward adult day care. So far, enrollment growth has been robust, the article claims. The cost is about $60 a day.

To find a center: Ask for a list from your local Alzheimer support groups or local agencies on aging.

This is an option I had never considered. If you have tried it, let me know how it turned out for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home