Subscriber Services
 

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Dogs don't belong in offices


As a dog owner, it's been a slow adjustment for me. I was never crazy about animals but I have come to love my sweet Cocker Spaniel. This week I am writing about work/life balance issues pet owners encounter. At times, the issues are the same as they are with kids. Dogs need attention, food and walks and long hours away from them cause them to act out. As I looked at all the arrangements people make -- pet sitters, dog walkers, dog day cares -- I came across some employers that allow pet owners to bring their animals to work.


As I admitted earlier, I am not an enthusiastic pet lover. But even in the realm of work/life balance, I can't understand allowing pets in the workplace. Some people are allergic, others completed distracted. And, I don't consider having pets at work to be professional. On the occasions I have been to a jeweler in my neighborhood, I noticed three small dogs roaming the stores. They are cute dogs. But they take away from my shopping experience, just like screaming children take away from a fine dining experience.


What are your thoughts on pets in the workplace? Does it make the workplace more fun or do you feel it should it be prohibited?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my son was 6 months old, I was shopping in Total Wine on 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale. He was in a carriage and as I turned a corner to go up the next aisle, a large dog jumped on him. He screamed and the dog scratched him. He developed an infection and we learned that he is allergic to dogs. Dogs do not belong in the workplace or in public venues like stores, malls, etc. There is no way for those of us with severely allergic children to predict that dogs might be in such a venue. I understand allowing dogs in pet stores or parks. I expect they will be there. Not in Total Wine, Publix, the mall, restaurants, etc. I also understand allowing service dogs. There aren't that many of them and they are rare to encounter. People who take their dogs everywhere have no compassion for their animals (I'm sure your dog doesn't love being held or in your purse while you are in Macys!!!) and a total disregard for the people and property around them.

8:46 AM  
Blogger martalaura said...

I don't think it should be legislated. There are too many laws already. But in some cases there is an absolute need to enforce the laws that already exist.

For example, there are already laws in place that prohibit dogs in restaurants or grocery stores. I had to go to a grocery store manager to ask them to have a lady take her dog out of the store. The manager had a hard time asking the lady to leave. I suppose she was embarrased. But there are health issues that trump embarrasment.

Service dogs MUST be allowed EVERYwhere. They are working animals when they are on the job and we must support the job they do.

Most of the time it is not the animal that is doing the wrong thing, it is the human attached to it!

7:38 PM  
Blogger martalaura said...

I don't think it should be legislated. There are too many laws already. But in some cases there is an absolute need to enforce the laws that already exist.

For example, there are already laws in place that prohibit dogs in restaurants or grocery stores. I had to go to a grocery store manager to ask them to have a lady take her dog out of the store. The manager had a hard time asking the lady to leave. I suppose she was embarrased. But there are health issues that trump embarrasment.

Service dogs MUST be allowed EVERYwhere. They are working animals when they are on the job and we must support the job they do.

Most of the time it is not the animal that is doing the wrong thing, it is the human attached to it!

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At a time when couples are waiting longer to have children, dogs are becoming many couples "children." If having your dog is not a huge distraction at work or anywhere else, then I don't see a problem. The thing is that dog owners need to be more conscious of where they are and how to manage their dogs- the same way parents need to manage out-of-control children at department stores, restaurants, and airplanes. I have a Chihuahua that I take wherever I can- on a leash of course!- and if I know that a place is not pet-friendly, then I leave the dog at home. Also, I don't allow him to approach kids. And until I'm ready to have children- not anytime soon- he is my child. =)

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home