Marriage and work/life balance
Not long ago, I wrote a column about balancing work and marriage. I consultant expert Joel Block who authored Making It Work When You Work A Lot. This morning, I took the book off my shelf and cracked it open again. For those who need it (me, of course), here are some of Block's tips:
* Don't count on your marriage being low maintanence.
* Create new common interests
* Don't forget to be polite -- kiss each other good night or good bye.
* Cut down on television and communicate with each other. Be in the moment and really listen to what your spouse is saying.
* Be positive. It is easier to increase positive behavior than it is to directly eliminate negative behavior
* Reach out and touch each other.
Block's book is filled with tips and toolkits. But his main message is focus on the bottom line: your spouse can be your biggest ally in work and life.