Subscriber Services
 

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Motivating younger workers

I received some great feedback in response to an article I wrote on the huge value that younger workers place on their time. Manny Figueroa a Miami CPA and attorney says he has found it challenging to motivate the younger generation of workers. Although he has tried various employee benefits, he reports the most success with Paid Time Off and comp time. Figueroa found this option works: he allows employees to work 5 hours on a Saturday and gives them off a full day the subsequent Friday.
To me, it's a no brainer. I'd be willing to make the trade to get a long weekend. I think (hope) more employers will look at these alternatives to get the work done and show their workers that their time has value.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy, I am a sr. director who also experiences the dificulties you mention with younger professionals -- they their personal time over making sacrifices for career success. As someone who grew up working 50 hr weeks and climbing the corporate ladder, I find today's young professionals to be very stingy with their time, setting limits everywhere. I wonder if they'll succeed professionally and be able to provide well for themselves down the road, and I also realize that today's corp. America doesn't promise anything beyond the next paycheck to even it's most dedicated workers. So are those young people so wrong to look after themselves? I look at the 40/50 somethings in the office working and stressing over deadlines while the newer generations leave promptly at 5 and never skip a lunch hr. Maybe they're on to something...

4:45 PM  
Blogger Cindy Goodman said...

I hear the frustratoins of boomers who are managers. But this younger generation wants a life outside of work and it's really hard to fault them for that. As I sit here eating my lunch at my desk, I wonder just as you do...Maybe they are onto something....

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home