Subscriber Services
 

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Can Women Have It All?

On Friday's 20/20 Elizabeth Vargas asked, "Can women have it all?"
It's a question I wonder often. Most working mothers do. I thought Vargas made some great points such as this one: Families still are paying an obscene amount of money for child care. And this one: Many women still fear telling their boss they are pregnant. Regardless of your financial status, all bets are on that you, the working mom, walk around feeling guilty about not giving enough time to one of these three things --- your job, your family or yourself. I always fantasize about picking my kids up from school myself everyday or going to the gym to work out every morning. I am pretty sure Vargas does too.
Vargas pointed out something on her newscast that many other news sources have made note of: Our country is way behind others in accommodating working moms. There's still plenty of Americans who say, "You wanted to have kids, find a way to cope." They have a right to their opinion. But the truth is 71 percent of mothers work. Many need two household incomes to pay bills, some are single moms with no options but to work. And yes, there are moms who like their jobs and want to work. Yet Vargas hit it dead on when she said hospitals, schools, government agencies couldn't operate today without working mothers.
Most of the world realizes the benefits of paid maternity leave, flexible schedules and subsidized day care. It's a shame Corporate America and U.S. politicians haven't. Can women have it all? It's a question we'll be asking for years to come.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Denise Tyler said...

Hi Cindy,

I found your blog via Google alerts and I'm glad I did.

I edit a website in the UK called mother@work, dealing with all aspects of being a working mother.

I found that alot of what you have said in your blog could easily transfer 'across the pond' to us here.

Although Government is doing its best to accomodate increasing calls for extended maternity and paternity leave, for instance, it's up against employer attitudes which is a loud voice.

mother@work aims to be the collective voice for working mothers and our national awards go some way to doing that.

Nice to 'meet' you and I'll be checking in again soon!

Kind regards,
Denise
Editor
mother@work

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home