Subscriber Services
 

Monday, May 14, 2007

A Mother's Day gift of time


Yesterday, for Mother's Day, I borrowed an idea from a colleague of mine, Ana Veciana-Suarez. I asked my children to help me plant a garden. To get that done required my son to turn down an invite to a friend's home to play a new video game. It required my daughter to say no to a friend who wanted to come to our home. It meant a gift of their time. Of course, it came with the expected complaints.

My kids picked out what we planted and where it would go. All of us, working together outside in the fresh air were able to create something that I can look at everyday with pride. I can't think of a better way to spend Mother's Day! What most surprised me was how excited they were about what they had planted. This morning, they raced outside to see how their tomato plants and citrus trees were doing.

It's not surprising to me that poll after poll shows mothers don't want material things for Mother's Day. One poll found mothers want me sleep. Others, like me, prefer the gift of time. I hope many other mothers out there received that gift, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home