Subscriber Services
 

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

When does she sleep?

I received an e-mail from a mom that exemplifies the craziness of this work/life balancing act. A female lawyer, mother of a 2-year-old, gave me a glimpse of what her day is like.
She works 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., has dinner with her family, works a few more hours from home, goes to sleep, wakes up at 3 a.m. with her son, spends a while trying to get him back to sleep and then wakes up at 6 a.m. to start all over again. I'm exhausted just thinking about her routine!!!!!
She writes: "My son is only two, and I don't think he'll remember my long days at work. When he is older maybe I'll cut back a little (you know…to 2200 hours a year instead of 2700). For now, I put great value on the time I do have, and if there is an emergency at work, you'll see the light of my laptop through my bedroom window and hear the tap-tap-tap of my keyboard when everyone is asleep. It's by far not perfect, but it is still a man's world, and for now, I manage to be the associate, the mom and the wife all in 24 hours a day."
I have to wonder, how long can this sleep-deprived mom can keep up this pace? How soon until she's tempted to quit and stay home? And will her choices be all or nothing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home