Subscriber Services
 

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I need a wife

Earlier this month, The New York Times ran an article about women who want wives. The even have a term for it, "wive envy." Now that women have solidly earned their place in the work force, they still yearn for something men often have: wives.
''The thing I most want in life is a wife. I'm not kidding,'' said Joyce Lustbader, a research scientist at Columbia University, who has been married for 29 years. ''I work all day, sometimes seven days a week, and still have to go home and make dinner and have all those things to do around the house.''
The article says working women have noticed, correctly, that their male colleagues with wife support -- whether or not those wives are themselves working outside the home -- get further at work. And research supports their argument: it appears that marriage, at least marriage with children, bolsters a man's career but hinders a woman's.
Look around your workplace and you will see the effect of this playing out. I have double the personal to-dos on my daily list than my husband. Most women do. We are the ones organizing, juggling and filling our head space with the daily demands of family life. That leaves less time and energy to focus on the workplace tasks and, at times, even has women feeling resentful of their male colleagues or bosses. It's no wonder personal concierges and errand runners are becoming popular with women. Personally, I would love a wife, how about you?
Here's a link to the New York Times article, unfortunately it's in the paid archives.

1 Comments:

Blogger world conference alerts said...

lolz, when I read the title of the post, that brought smile on my face. This is really good research, I need to read more about it and going to google the details of it. Thank you for sharing it

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home