Subscriber Services
 

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

I did my daughter's homework

I'm feeling conflicted today. Last night, I did my daughter's homework. I'm not bragging. I'm confessing. Mostly, because I would do it again.
After a long day at work and Open House at my son's school, I arrived home around 8 p.m. to find my daughter doing homework. Two hours later, after putting my younger two kids to bed, she was still up doing homework. At 10 p.m., I wanted us both in bed -- pronto!
But then came the tears, "Mom, I can't go to bed. I still have more homework." And so, I caved.
In a trance-like state, I begin printing photos off the Internet and pasting them on her index cards. Printing and pasting. It seemed harmless. It didn't affect the learning process. She wrote the Spanish vocabulary words on the cards. We were both in bed a half hour later. But still, I do feel a little guilty. I'm heading home extra early today to better supervise her afterschool homework routine. Not all working moms have that luxury. With that in mind, I would guess I'm not the only homework helper who has something to feel guilty about. Your thoughts?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Elizabeth said...

I prefer to think of it as "homework prep" on late nights like that.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog because I googled "I did my daughter's homework". I googled that because I did my daughter's homework this morning. I worked late last night. After dinner and getting both girls to bed I was exhausted. I was putting her lunch in her bookbag and found a math worksheet that she didn't do. I did it for her.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home