Subscriber Services
 

Monday, March 17, 2008

It's my birthday and I'm looking for wrinkles


Over the weekend, I celebrated my 43rd birthday. Wow, that sounds old. When I woke up, I immediately looked for wrinkles (Isn't that what everyone does on their birthday when they get past 40?) I found some, but I'm not sure they are new. What I know for certain, is that this balancing act is aging me. I can't remember to-dos or phones numbers for more than a few minutes. I have to write everything down. And, when I go to sleep at night, I'm much more exhausted than I was in my 30s.

My grandmother is 100, so by comparison, I'm young. But my grandmother never worked outside the home. My sister and I have searched Gram's cabinets in her apartment for her secret "Fountain of Youth." We have decided her secret potion is not necessarily an easy life but one without the stresses of trying to please a boss, c0-workers, a husband, kids and herself. As a working mom in an industry going through change, I'm juggling a dozen job responsibilities with Girl Scout meetings and soccer practices.


Today, it is very rare for us working parents to actually take five minutes out of our busy day to look after ourselves. When was the last time you went to the gym, or read a good book with no interruptions? That makes you and me susceptible to the dreaded -- stress wrinkles!!!


Apparently, stress wrinkles are common in this day, where people are constantly trying to juggle many different aspects of their lives. I read all about them on the website, Friends of Vista.


Here are a few things that website suggests: Laugh in the morning in front of the mirror and try out a few facial exercises. Giggle more. Take a break from work (play hooky for a day). Or take a break from family (hit the beach for a few hours alone).

One of the toughest things for me to do is “shut off” the work part of my brain. Sometimes, I have to force myself to relax and forget about all that needs to get done. But when I do, I invariably enjoy the downtime and discover I'm more refreshed. Now, I have the added incentive of slowing down the aging process. Do you believe the balancing act is aging? What are your tips for fending off stress wrinkles?


1 Comments:

Anonymous Frugalista said...

I use Oil Of Olay. I hope it slows down the process.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home