Subscriber Services
 

Monday, July 03, 2006

Even more on time management

Judging from response to my article on time management, there is a lot of interest in the subject. Workers are desperate to get more done. I received an e-mail from a man named Bob Davies with a tip worth mentioning. His advice: Make a commitment to a specific activity you will do over the next seven days, and then place a horrific penalty for non-performance. This can be a fine, $100, or an uncomfortable action—such as washing your neighbor’s car or even eating a spider!
As long as someone else will enforce the consequence, your brain will search and see the consequence as the higher level of pain and set the instinct of avoidance in the on position. You can’t stop the avoidance. In this case, you avoid the penalty by taking the promised action. You can avoid your way to the top.
I am combining Davies' tip with another I learned from productivity guru David Allen. Instead of writing "sell old coins" on my to-do list like I do every week, I am going to break it up into specific actions. For example, I am going to write "inventory coins". Then I am going to impose a penalty on myself if I don't get it done in seven days. I usually work on the reward system so this might be just what I need for motivation. My neighbor's car sure is dirty.

2 Comments:

Blogger YourSimplerLife said...

Without Most successful home based business things could be a lot more difficult. Setting goals can really simplify things.

8:49 AM  
Blogger p said...

http://www.idesirefreedom.com/unique home based business opportunity
***Hi, this is Paul. I found this great way of getting phone verified leads FREE.
Discover how you can use the same Million Dollar Recruiting System that I use at NO-CHARGE ,
for the first 30 days! Plus, get a FREE 23-Page Report Called:
�My Million Dollar MLM Recruiting System!�***

http://www.idesirefreedom.com/

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home