Subscriber Services
 

Monday, April 23, 2007

Take Your Kids to Work, is it fair?

I received a letter from my the Broward County Public Schools. They have officially designated Thursday as "Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day." The letter says its an event to help children learn about the array of job possibilities for their future. The school board is urging parents to participate in this national observance.
I'm all for exposing kids to the workplace. But I worry about all those kids whose parents don't participate, the ones whose employers won't let them bring kids, even on this designated day. I am concerned about the kids in our county's poorest schools whose parents work low-wage jobs. It's simply too dangerous to have a child ride along on a garbage truck. The reality is many of these kids won't have the opportunity to be exposed to job workplaces with higher salaries, where they can dream of becoming a department manager or the head of international sales.
I love the idea of exposing children, especially young girls, to workplace opportunities. But I can't help but wonder if this is a day that will benefit the students who need it most. What are your thoughts?
For information on the official observance, go to ww.daughtersandsonstowork.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home