Subscriber Services
 

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Things to do with wasted time

I hate to waste time. Last Friday, I sat waiting for the doctor long after I finished reading the newspaper I had brought. I went nuts just sitting there being a time waster. So when I saw some tips in my Inbox from Jason Womack, a motivational coach, I printed them out and decided I will put them to use. And, I will share them with you, with a little of my own ideas included.

Jason writes, "You may not always be able to avoid cancellations, delays and other people running late, but with a bit of preparation, you can get even more done when life doesn't go exactly as planned."

1. Write Cards - Jason says he keeps a few cards with stamped envelopes inside my briefcase. I can write 3 cards on the plane before my flight even takes off! If you're wondering what to write, set your mind on gratitude. (I'm going to keep the cards in my car to use while in carpool lines)

2. Get to know your Gear. Transform your cell phone into a productivity tool that supports you instead of distracts you. Update your phone's contact list by going through the menu of most recent calls. Create speed dials for numbers you use frequently. Add names and numbers from loose business cards you are still carrying around. Learn how to set alarms & timers.
Set unique ring tones for people who call you most often. (I'm going to start by finding my cell phone manual)


3. Keep Learning: Most people believe that learning is what you do in your personal time, and reading during business hours is prohibited. To overcome this stigma, rip out magazine articles and keep a "To Read" folder with you. Keep just the pages you want to read, this cuts down on all of the paperwork you'll carry around.

4. Keep Learning - Part 2: Use your iPod to listen to university courses and business lectures . A few of Jason's favorite podcasts are: POP!Tech, TEDTalks, Harvard's HBR Idea Cast and The Economist. You can access The Miami Herald's weekly business podcast on our webpage.

2 Comments:

Blogger JasonWomack said...

Thanks for sharing these ideas, and your experiences, with the larger "blogger" community!

These are tips I've come across over the past few years, and I'm always curious to hear from others and what they do with "what could have been wasted" time...

Jason

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Lily said...

I'm getting married this year and I use every spare moment I have to take care of little wedding details- my wedding is in November and it's ready to go. I don't like to wait until the last minute to plan things.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home