Subscriber Services
 

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Two views on who is the boss

Lots of reaction to an article I wrote yesterday on female high wage earners. Many men whose wife or girlfriend makes more complained that these women don't have mutual respect. They also feel that these women can be overbearing. My editor, Terence Shepherd, feels these men are practically screaming out that their spouse feels she owns them: "Shut up honey and change the baby's diaper, or I'll take the keys to the BMW from you.''

Women responded completely opposite. Some feel that men are too sensitive about earning less. One woman said her boyfriend dumped her because she made twice his salary and he felt emasculated.

I'm left realizing there is a lot of resentment out there. It's only going to get worse unless couples communicate because women are forecasted to outearn their man in half of all households by 2025. Are you in this type of relationship. What do you feel is the key to making it work?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. We are sometimes accused of relying too much on men. Many of the boomers on the second (or third) round of marriage don't want the added responsibility of supporting a woman.

And yet, they want to feel superior and macho too. Not an easy situation for women, especially if you're divorced and dating in your 40s.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a partner in a law firm and my husband is a full time student - for now. We have a 5 year old in Kindergarten. I cannot do my job without him and he cannot do his without me. We support each other and work equally (most of the time)taking care of our daughter. We share drop off and pick up and make sure we each get alone time at some point. We get a babysitter and have dates. Most likely I will always earn more than he does and he is fine with that. You just have to find the right fit. It was hard at first when he had no income but he studies like a full time job. And no we don't have a housekeeper or a nanny. We just work hard and communicate with each other.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Cindy Goodman said...

I can imagine that dating when you are a high earning woman can be especially tricky. Maybe there's an article there for me?

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home