Subscriber Services
 

Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Working Dad's Big Decision


I read the news in The Miami Herald this weekend that Florida Supreme Court Justice Raoul Cantero is resigning. I was shocked. Even more shocking was the reason.


Six years after becoming the first Cuban-American to hold that position on the bench, Cantero, 47, had to choose between his family needs and his career. He said his daughter's recent undisclosed illness and his children's ages -- 18, 15, 13 -- persuaded him to resign and to move his family from Tallahassee back home to Miami.


"During these six years, despite the new friends we have made, my wife, three children, and I have missed our hometown. It is time I put my family's needs first." Cantero wrote in his resignation letter. "We have an extended family in Miami, which has grown to include many grandchildren and even great-grandchildren. My children miss their grandparents, their aunts and uncles, and their cousins," he wrote.


I can only imagine how hard this decision was for Cantero. So many working parents must make similar decisions every day in cities around the country -- moms and dads. Cantero will land a job in Miami, no doubt about that. But for the man who was touted as a possible U.S. Supreme Court justice, the resignation meant HUGE personal sacrifice. It will be years before his children understand -- really understand -- the sacrifice. It's no wonder Cantero said, "It's a decision I didn't make lightly."


Do you think he made the right choice? Have you ever had to make an extremely difficult career/family decision? How did it work out for you?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great grandchildren at age 47? Something is out-of-sync here, if not downright dysfunctional.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home