Subscriber Services
 

Monday, July 24, 2006

Celebrities struggle too

Uma Thurman is in the spotlight these days, promoting her new movie, my Super Ex-Girlfriend. The barrage of press coverage on Uma has given me some strong reasons to become a fan. She has been candid about her struggles with work/life balance in the wake of a divorce from actor Ethan Hawke. Thurman, 36, is a single mom to Maya, 8, and Levon, 4. In a recent interview with USA weekend, Thurman said: Balancing home and work is "tumultuous and difficult." Because she loves acting, Thurman decided to keep working. Her compromise for now is to read only scripts that will shoot close to home in New York, which was the case for "My Super Ex-Girlfriend," which just opened in theaters. So many working moms can relate to her efforts at compromise.
I love this comment by Thurman in a interview with Parade Magazine: "I have learned that every working mom is a superwoman. For most of the world, it's really a necessity. The stay-at-home mom is over not just because of women's liberation but because of men's libration from wanting to be the breadwinners." I don't think she meant over as in completely over. I believe she meant that working moms have made it easier on their spouses who previously had shouldered the burden of supporting their families.
Almost every working mom, myself included, can relate to this quote from Thurman: "I'm not a quitter. I'm a super quitter. I'm dying to quit all the time. But I do put one foot in front of the other and just keep moving."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Clay Nelson said...

Uma knows what she wants, she is clear about what she doesn't want, and she is committed to being true to herself and her family no matter what circumstances surround her. She is being what I call unstoppable!

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home