Subscriber Services
 

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Planning a vacation?

I am thinking a lot about productivity expert David Allen this week as I scurry about packing suitcases and scribbling and scratching my to-do list. When I interviewed Allen he asked: "Isn't it interesting that people feel best about themselves right before they go on vacation? They've cleared up all of their to-do piles, closed up transactions, renewed old promises with themselves. My most basic suggestion is that people should do that more than just once a year."
Clearly, he's right. Even if I depart on vacation exhausted from trying to complete unfinished tasks before I head off, there's a sense of accomplishment. Most of us don't want anything hanging over our heads that will keep us from relaxing. There's something in the thought process though that triggers us to behave this way before a vacation. I know Allen is right, I should try to clear the deck more often. But the way I see it, at least I do it once a year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home