Subscriber Services
 

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Laptops and vacation?

My husband and I are having our annual disagreement. The topic: laptops and vacation. My philosophy is prepare for vacation by leaving a voicemail and an out of office message on your e-mail. Try to wrap up everything before you leave, then take off and relax. My husband insists that if he brings his laptop on vacation and checks his e-mail each morning, he'll be more relaxed. This annoys me. To me, just thinking about work and seeing what's going on while you are gone is stressful. I try to convince my husband that once a year, he deserves a week without thinking about work.
Clearly, this is a source of contention for many couples. Every individual has their own philosophy about vacation/work. Survey after survey shows most Americans spend some of their vacation working. An Adecco 2006 Vacation Survey found more than a third of white collar workers are pessimistic about their chances of uninterrupted time off, with 35% believe they will need to put in extra hours while on vacation.
Consider this: Most believe their boss will fail to thank their staff for working during their time off, with a staggering 25% never acknowledging their employees’ vacation contribution, and a total of 52% failing to do so more than occasionally.
My devious solution: I try to pick vacation locations where cell phones and laptops don't work.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Sarcasticynic said...

Cindy, before I retired, my job was pretty much passing info from the people who knew the answer to the ones requesting it. A ten minute login between the beach and the restaurant could open a half dozen bottlenecks among my worldwide contacts who'd otherwise have to wait till my return. I'd come back to eight e-mails instead of hundreds and could immediately become productive. My most recent "login during vacation" happened last month. A potential employer e-mailed me for a job interview. He held the position open upon reading my e-mail response that I was out of town, but interested. I may owe my new position to accessing business correspondence during my vacation. And I still had a grand old time.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Cindy Goodman said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Cindy Goodman said...

You make a good point!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home