Balancing work and caregiving
Carla Albano, executive administrator of Alternative Home Health Care in Fort Lauderdale, a provider of in-home care for the elderly, has some tips.
*Be organized. Make sure your loved ones and their caregivers know your travel plans and how to reach you.
* Be flexible. Make sure that travel plans are flexible to accommodate unexpected situations.
* Always think about health. Be careful when taking elderly loved ones around young children, especially if the children are sick.
* Be careful about unusual foods and alcohol. They could interact with your loved ones medications. You want to avoid the emergency room during the holidays.
* Be realistic about the emotional needs of your elderly loved one. Grief can become compounded during the holidays.
* Be prepared if your loved one reacts to a deviation from his or her schedule.
To learn more about Alternative Home Healthcare visit www.alternativehomehealthcare.com.