Subscriber Services
 

Monday, January 29, 2007

Breadwinner guilt

Loved the blog post on wwwworkingmomsagainstguilt.com. This question is posed: You're a successful working mom with happy, healthy kids, a solid relationship with your partner, and a booming career. Do you feel guilty if you happen to have a fatter paycheck than your hubby?
Dr. Gail Saltz on The Today Show said some women resent being the breadwinner. My thoughts: some men do too.
I have interviewed lots of breadwinner moms in recent years. I'm not sure how being a breadwinner plays out in their marriage, but I think these women will outright attribute their success at work to their husband's support. As long a your husband is supportive, what's to feel guilty about?

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Cindy! I used to live in Fort Pierce, Florida, (where I was a newspaper reporter) so I have a special place in my heart for your column. It's an honor to be mentioned on your blog!

P.S. I was amazed at how many comments we got from breadwinner moms--who don't feel a bit of guilt.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that no matter what the gender, a person's success at work is always a product of the support they get at home - espeically when you have children. I am the working mom breadwinner in my family with a husband as a full time student. I would not have gotten as far as I have without his support and vise versa. Just like a lot of my male counter-parts would fold without their supportive wives at home.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home