Subscriber Services
 

Monday, January 29, 2007

Online at work for personal use

This weekend, my husband and I got into a big debate about using your computer for personal activities while at work. I've shopped online from my desk, I confessed. Once I get home, I really don't have time to get on my computer, unless its late at night. I think its OK to do, especially when I have spent so many evenings doing work-related activities on my personal time.
My husband, who is in management at his company, disagrees. Strongly. He feels no one should use their computer for personal activities during the work day. He gets most huffy about hourly workers. He feels they should stay later to make up the time if they use their computer to shop online, send personal e-mails, get on gaming sites, etc. during the workday.
Maybe its more about moderation. Opinions please!

3 Comments:

Blogger Shelley Lieber said...

I am a freelance writer who occasionally works onsite for clients. At first, I felt guilty when I use the Internet at work to check my email or to read the New York Times online when I wasn't busy. Then I noticed that most employees spent quite a bit of time on the phone or on the Internet for personal use--making appointments, purchasing personal items, etc. I guess there are some things that cannot be done except during normal work-day hours, and it's acceptable that a degree of work time be used for personal use. As long as the priority is getting work done correctly and on time, I don't think it's wrong to integrate personal computer use with work use.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous CreditGal said...

Very interesting question. I do not consider that it is so bad to use the Internet for personal activities at work. For example, I can't imagine my working without icq. Surely, I spend a little bit time for personal activities but I do. It doesn't disturb work, vice versa it helps to relax sometimes and redirects attention from one point to another.

6:20 AM  
Blogger brady said...

I run a law office. It is fine during break. But it is unacceptable any other time.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home