Subscriber Services
 

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Women as breadwinners?

I'm fascinated by the statistic that The Today Show presented this morning in its discussion of women breadwinners. Meredith Viera told viewers one in three women outearn their husbands. By 2025, the prediction is that 50 percent will outearn their husbands. That's huge! Viera asks, "As long as bills paid who cares who earns more?''
I bet a lot of men care. My husband would care. Relationship expert Gail Saltz says it can wreak havoc in a relationship when couples equate money with power and masculinity. She says the men best suited for this type of relationship are those that possess lots of self confidence. To make the relationship work, she says, couples need good communication.
If the statistics hold true, I wonder this: Do 50 percent of men have lots of self confidence? Do 50 percent of couples have great communication? It's going to be interesting to see how this trend plays out. To see a clip of the segment click here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I'm not surprised at that statistic. Lots of women I know are the breadwinners, and in most cases, their husbands are just fine with it. After all, the pressure's off! And it often helps the couple have a better quality of life.

Susan @ Working Moms Against Guilt
http://wmag.blogspot.com

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy. That is a very good question. Would you please consider reporing your question to The Today Show forum audience on The Today Show forum? We might get some interesting feedback there.
Thank you. :)

http://www-todayshow.com/
http://www.todaytop.com/

2:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where did that "2025" statistic come from? i wonder what exactly the source/study is.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

One more thing. I wrote about this topic on my blog, too, and it's generated some interesting discussion. Check it out here: http://wmag.blogspot.com/2007/01/now-we-have-to-deal-with-breadwinner.html

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my experience, it's not the men that mind but the women! The women breadwinners eventually become resentful and lose respect for their underearning partners.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonymous said... I'm the breadwinner in our family. Over time I lost respect for my husband. I never wish for this at all. I want to be a stay-at-home mom and take care of my children. However, if I do, the bills don't get pay. My husband feels unappreciated. Because at the moment no matter how hard he works, he won't make as much as I do. At times, I take on his responsibilities and mines and I think that's where things starts to fall apart... relationship, communication, etc. What ever trend we are setting is not good. We are only heading towards a failed society. The balance of life is turned. We are becoming like lioness. The female hurts and feeds the family. It's very sad and I'm losing my family over it.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home